Do you ever have an emotion or feeling that keeps you stuck in anger, pain or resentment? Perhaps a decision from your past that keeps nagging at you? Well, today is Let It Go Day.
Forgiveness allows you to let go of a lot, but for those of us who have suffered trauma, the idea of forgiveness can be a struggle. Forgiveness holds a lot of power in our healing, and can provide us with many benefits:
- Forgiveness breaks the cycle of violence.
- In order to forgive, we possess compassion, which is an important part of the healing process and life change.
- Forgiveness frees us from holding onto anger.
But first, we need to understand that forgiveness starts with one person, ourselves.
“Forgiveness is an inside job. Finding your spirituality helps move you towards forgiveness and compassion.” — Kim Barthel from ‘Conversations with a Rattlesnake’
Although we can oftentimes be hardest on ourselves, it’s important to start within. Here’s some ways to help you forgive yourself:
- Remember that you did everything you could do at the time.
- Remembering you are not your story, it’s just a story.
- The past is the past, let it live there. Period.
- Move forward.
- Practice self-love.
“It’s only when we are ready to forgive ourselves that we can explore forgiving others.” — Theo Fleury from ‘Conversations with a Rattlesnake’
Forgiveness is a topic that Kim and Theo discuss in detail in their book, ‘Conversations with a Rattlesnake’, and provide some more tools for inviting this kind of healing capability into your life, and ultimately allowing yourself to let go and move forward.
“Forgiveness is a decision that you make with your whole self after you have done your emotional work.” — Kim Barthel from ‘Conversations with a Rattlesnake’
– Written by Amber Craig